Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Golden State Warriors - 2015 NBA Champions

When I woke up this morning, I had to check the ESPN app on my phone to make sure it wasn't all a dream.... The Golden State Warriors are the 2015 NBA Champions. Last night was an emotional night for me, considering that this championship represents the first title that any of my favorite teams have won in my lifetime. I could not be more proud of this team, which happens to consist of some of the most fun, enthusiastic, and most importantly, deserving guys in basketball.

From the beginning of this season, I knew there was something special about this team. Each game had the potential to be magical when the Splash Brothers, Barnes, Bogut, and (my favorite player) Draymond Green- among others -stepped on the court. This team reminded me very much of the 2012 Oakland A's. They may not have been as much of an "underdog" team as the A's were that year, but what I noticed as a similarity was the comeraderie and brotherhood that the guys shared. The Warriors love for each other helped to make you feel as if you were part of the family as well. #StrengthInNumbers and #DubNation showed that together we can accomplish anything we put our minds to.

I will remember this season as the season that I truly fell in love with basketball. I have always considered myself a Warriors fan, but had always chose to focus most of my energy on baseball. Yes, I remember the Monta Ellis era before Steph Curry was even a household name. Yes, I remember Thunder, the Warriors absolutely scary mascot who randomly disappeared a few years ago. But this Warriors season is the one that I will forever hold close to my heart and cherish.

Thank you. Thank you Golden State Warriors. Thank you owners and front office. Thank you Steve Kerr, Alvin Gentry & coaching staff. Thank you Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Andrew Bogut, Harrison Barnes, Andre Iguodala, Leandro Barbosa, Festus Ezeli, Justin Holiday, David Lee, Marreese Speights, Shaun Livingston, and anyone else who helped the Warriors to become NBA Champs..... Especially you, Riley Curry. You have all made me more proud than I can even begin to express in words. This team gave me the most special thing that a team can give to one of their fans- the first championship of their lifetime. (Think about it like the Warriors and I gave each other our "Sports Virginities" or something).

"We gon' be championship." - Leandro Barbosa..... six months ago.....

Wayyyyyyy up. I feel blessed.


Photos: Sports Illustrated
             Christal Rock




No comments :

Post a Comment